I've played through the tutorial now and have gone for a walk to collect XM (the energy currency in the game), and I enjoy it. I just wish there was more to do (or that I could walk to some control points).
Thoughts so far:
* the tutorial gets you to walk outside which is nice, but makes it very hard to hear what you are supposed to do (bring headphones, or stare close at the screen to read the tiny text).
* the text is small on the game, and the controls for the interface are rough (I had a problem getting through one of the tutorial missions just because I couldn't select two different control points correctly -- I'm sure there must be better ways to do it, but it wasn't obvious).
* the game also just dumps you in after the tutorial missions w/o much guidance. You just need to go find some control points in a blank map (I had to get on my computer to realize there weren't any within a couple miles of my house... ugh).
* want moar control points!!! Supposedly you can take pictures of other pieces of art (geo-tagged) and ask for them to be added to the game. I haven't figured out how to yet. Once I do, I'll try to get some closer ones in a couple parks that are nearby.
* needs more direction... most games have this down. They need to direct you in what you can do next... always.
* also, they asked you to pick a side without much introduction to either (and you can only ask to switch once after that first pick)... Not sure it really matters. But I was glad I went to my computer before picking. Thus I picked the currently loosing side in my area (much more fun to attack the enemy and rally from behind).
Guess I need to go read the more of the backstory at http://www.nianticproject.com/
I really want to like this game. So I'll try more... :)